Ave Maria stands as an example of Barron Collier’s mission and philosophy.
The creation of a new town, the first in modern times to be built in conjunction with a new University, speaks clearly to the company’s vision. Its status as the first implementation of the groundbreaking Rural Lands Stewardship Program makes a definitive statement of the Barron Collier Companies’ commitment to environmental stewardship. The partnership with Tom Monaghan, who invested the fortune he amassed as founder of Domino’s Pizza into the creation of Ave Maria University (www.avemaria.edu), enabled the undertaking of a project of this magnitude, and demonstrates the company’s belief in the power of strategic alliances. And finally, its investment of hundreds of millions of dollars in Eastern Collier County is evidence of the Barron Collier Companies’ dedication to its community.
Ave Maria, Florida (www.avemaria.com), is a self-sustaining town, providing for all of its residents’ daily needs, including recreation, shopping, education, health care, and culture, as well as six distinctive neighborhoods, on 4,000 acres. It is a traditional hometown, where neighbors know neighbors, and friendships span generations.
It is also an environmental hallmark. The community’s plan set aside 17,000 acres of environmentally important land for protection in perpetuity.
The Town and University opened their doors to their first residents and students in the fall of 2007. Included in the Town are:
- The European-inspired Town Center, called La Piazza
- The landmark 104-foot Oratory, opposite the central campus
- Diverse neighborhoods created through a strategic alliance with national homebuilder Pulte Homes (www.Pulte.com) and its Del Webb, DiVosta and Pulte brands and others
- A full complement of recreational amenities from a water park, ball fields and fitness centers to a golf course, tennis complex and bocce courts
- Educational facilities including a parochial K-12 school and future public elementary and middle schools
- Retail opportunities such as Publix (www.publix.com), restaurants, a convenience store & gas station, specialty shops, and a shopping mall.
- Fire, EMS, and Sheriff’s work station as well as Medical and Dental facilities
- A Park of Commerce to accomodate a range of commercial uses
At its buildout, the town will accommodate 11,000 residences and 1.2 million square feet of commercial, medical and industrial space.